If you’re having difficulties tracking distance with your Runtastic app, it is likely that your iPhone is experiencing GPS issues. The steps below should help you to obtain and maintain a strong GPS signal.
There are a number of troubleshooting steps to try to get your GPS working again on your iPhone. We recommend going through them in this order to determine what the cause might be:
Step 1 Install the latest version of iOS once it becomes available and make sure you have installed the latest version of the Runtastic app on your iPhone
Step 2 Ensure that the GPS signal indicator is green before you hit start. Try to avoid starting your activity in area where there may be a weaker GPS signal, for example near high buildings, deep forests or near huge amounts of water like lakes or sea.
Step 3 Check the app’s location permissions
One of the most common issues is people forget to enable location services for the Runtastic app. To check, follow the steps below:
- Go to your iPhone settings and select Privacy
- Select Location Services.
- Make sure that Location Services is enabled*
- Scroll down to find Runtastic in the list
- Tap the app and select “Always”
* If Location Services are already enabled, try switching the toggle on and off again to refresh the setting
Step 4 Check that Airplane mode is switched off
To check Airplane mode settings, follow the steps below:
- Go to your iPhone settings and select Airplane Mode
- Toggle Airplane mode on and then off again. Make sure it remains disabled before you start your activity
Step 5 Set your timezone correctly
For GPS-enabled apps to work properly, your device needs to have the correct date and time.To verify your date and time settings on your iPhone, follow the steps below:
- Go to your iPhone’s settings
- Select Date & Time
- Select Set Automatically
Step 6 Reset Network settings
In order to obtain a strong GPS signal, your iPhone must have a satisfactory network reception. Be sure to deal with any network issues first if you’re facing GPS difficulties using the troubleshooting steps below:
- Disconnect then reconnect to your network
- Turn off LTE and select 3G
Step 7 Perform a soft reset
- Press and hold the Sleep/wake button and the power button at the same time. Hold the buttons for at least 10 seconds
- release the buttons when you see the Apple logo.
Step 8 Check whether you have given the app permission to use the "approximate location" on iOS14, as this can also result in GPS issues.